Whether or not you've taken or are planning to take a LEED Green Associate test prep course, the following steps are essential for preparing to ace the exam. Based on a resource compiled by YRG Sustainability.
Read the Green Associate Candidate Handbook for details about applying, preparing, scheduling, and what to do before and after your exam.
APPLY for the exam at www.gbci.org (see instructions on page 5 of Candidate Handbook). You will need to upload your documentation of eligibility (more information on page 6 of Candidate Handbook). You will need a letter of attestation to demonstrate your eligibility—documentation participation in a training program and other options will work. At this point you will pay a $50 application fee. You will recieve notice of application approval within 7 days.
REGISTER to take the LEED Green Associate exam at www.gbci.org after you have recieved your application approval, and you will be given an eligibility ID (additional information on page 8 of Candidate Handbook). Then go to www.prometric.com/gbci to schedule your exam. At this point you will pay the exam fee, $150 USGBC member / $200 non-member. We recommend that you take the exam within 2 months of taking an exam prep course, or within 2 months of starting intensive studying.
If you've already taken a course, plan for at least 20 hours. If you haven't taken a course, plan for more than that, depending on how familiar you are with the material.
1. LEEDuser's webinar recording on LEED Green Associate exam prep, with recommendations from RealLifeLEED. Also see the webinar recording page for access to free exam prep materials.
2. USGBC & GBCI Websites - become acquainted with at least the following pages:
3. USGBC & GBCI Documents:
4. Primary Resources - recommended in the Green Associate Candidate Handbook as the primary reference documents for this exam.
5. Ancillary Resource - recommended by the Green Associate Candidate Handbook as the secondary references for this exam. Make sure you have read and understand all of the primary resource documents before you move on to ancillary resources.
6. Test Register a Project (don't use your Credit Card, just observe the information that is asked for)
7. Green Building Resources - the more you know about green building, the easier the exam will be.
(See page 18 of Candidate Handbook for "Day of Your Exam" details). GOOD LUCK!!!
Refer to Credentialling Maintenance Program Guide for information about continuing education requirements.
Receive your LEED Green Associate Certificate in the mail.
Pass on some feedback! and Good Luck!
Copyright 2013 – BuildingGreen, Inc.